Hoosier Hysteria: Why You Should Not Miss Out
Written by: Ben Malcomson Updated on: 7/17/2018
Who would not get excited about the opportunity to attend Hoosier Hysteria every year?
Do not get me wrong, I am guilty of not making Hoosier Hysteria every year. I was getting married on Hoosier Hysteria, four years ago. I remember sending a tweet to Head Coach, Tom Crean, telling him I wanted to be there, but had other things going on that day. The tweet included a picture of my wife and I and my groom’s cake that was shaped like an IU logo. He retweeted it. That acknowledgement alone from a fan’s perspective meant a hell a lot.
My good friend Chris Corley of Cork’s Corner even joked with me by throwing out the question “Who gets married on Hoosier Hysteria?” Apparently, I am guilty as charged. One of the happiest days of my life it was. The only downside is every year from then on out, I must hope and pray that the event does not fall on the weekend of my wedding anniversary.
This year will be no different. The date of Hoosier Hysteria is now set for September 29th. I will be able to make it since it does not interfere with the wedding anniversary.
I just spent three paragraphs talking about myself and my needs. Enough about me. This piece is all about you, boys and girls!
Will you plan to attend Hoosier Hysteria this year? Will it be the first time you have ever attended the event? Your second time? Your 30th time? Either way, it should be one of your top priorities to get your cream and crimson loving behind to this event. Why? Let me list the reasons:
1) Because it is awesome! This statement might be plain, but it is the truth. Fans attending for the first time, especially those with children, will find the event even more awesome and exciting.
2) Let us face the reality, it is one gigantic pep rally. The event’s significance cuts deeper than most Hoosier fans think. The tone for the season is set by this event. This is the first real opportunity for Indiana Hoosier basketball fans to come out, show support for both the men’s and women’s programs, and make loud noises. Very loud noises! Nothing quite like when it is so loud, you can feel the ground shake beneath your feet. Gets my blood flowing just thinking about it.
3) The excitement surrounding this current team. We have some major players on the squad this year. Both returning and freshman. Juwan Morgan is back, baby! He is one main reason for being pumped about this! It is his senior year. Our fearless leader returns. He has unfinished business. Mix him with added depth. Pick your poison, opponents.
4) The incoming freshman. Those of you that attended the event last year, were lucky to witness first-hand as the 2018 recruiting targets Romeo Langford, Rob Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Jerome Hunter, and Darius Garland walked across the floor to their seats to a loud ovation from the Hoosier faithful. That, in of itself, was a special moment. You, that stayed home because you did not want to stand in line all day, missed out. You, that did not want to deal with the road construction, missed out. Face it, the construction is not going away anytime soon. Deal with it. I do not like it any more than the next person, but I will be damned if I let it stop me from seeing the teams I love perform. Even if you did have a good reason not to go, the fact of the matter is this, you missed out. Last year, we saw them walk across the floor and then spectate like the rest of us. This year, they are on the floor. What more of a reason do you need?!
5) The 2019 Recruits that will be in attendance. – Trayce Jackson-Davis and Keion Brooks Jr. will both be on their respective official visits during Hoosier Hysteria. If you think they will be the only recruits there, you are crazy. As I mentioned in reason #4, they will have their moment. on the court. You really want to miss that in person?! You sure as hell will not see that on your stream. Come out and support these kids. Whether they choose Indiana or not, let us give them a moment they will remember the rest of their lives!
I could keep pouring out more and more reasons why you should attend. This year might be the year I would strongly recommend coming early to get in line. The house might be packed. Romeo Langford alone, will draw a huge crowd. For those that know me well enough, I said the same thing last year. And the year before. And the year before that. This year is different! I strongly feel this could be the biggest most anticipated Hoosier Hysteria since the year we were preseason #1.
Many of you wish to attend the event yearly but are simply unable to. The decision is each of your own, Hoosier fans.
If you choose to go, it will NOT be something you regret.
You will remember this event for the rest of your lives. Your kids will remember this one for the rest of their lives. Your child could very well be inspired to one day walk out on the court like Trayce Jackson-Davis and Keion Brooks. Better still, he and/or she could be out there wearing the cream and crimson just like Romeo Langford, Rob Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Jerome Hunter, and Jake Forrester will be for the first time in front of us. This memory forever embedded into their brains, lighting that fire inside of them.
If you choose not to go? My response is simple. You will be missing out.
See you there, Hoosiers. Look for the tall guy wearing candy stripes. That should narrow it down.